Thursday, January 13, 2011

Trifle and other spring things...

We are surrounded by snow and ice here in the South on this January day. A rarity, to be sure. While I love to watch snow fall, I am ill equipped to deal with the days indoors that it invariably demands of us. We, here in the small town South, have approximately two snow plows.  Yes, I said two.

So, when we get these 6 inches of snow and another 1/4 inch of ice on top of it, it's a monumental event, and requires that we huddle up and stay inside.  So, as I look out my window and see ice and snow, my thoughts have trailed to my spring trifle that my kids often beg me to make.  Here is a picture so that you may understand the longing with which they await the first strawberries of spring:






It's the simplest of desserts.  Just take a cake mix, preferably yellow, or bake a homemade one. Make sure you have at least two round pans of cake, though.  Break one round pan of your freshly baked cake into bite size pieces and place in the bottom of a large bowl. (see pic!) Press it down just a little so everything will fit.  Then top with fresh strawberries, blueberries and homemade powered sugar icing. (the directions are on the box)  You can sweeten it more by adding more powered sugar, or thin it by adding more milk.  Your tastes will determine that.  I usually load mine down with sugar and double the recipe to make sure I have plenty! Of course, I also love sugar like a baby loves it's blanket! I digress...

Next, crumble your second round pan of cake over your first layer.  Repeat the strawberry and blueberries, as well as the icing.  Then, top with more strawberries and blueberries to make it lovely.  You have a Kristi Trifle...  It's a wonderful thing and one more reason why I'm longing for spring! 

No comments:

Post a Comment