Friday, February 10, 2012

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies...Ever!

I occasionally post some recipes on here, but this one is a real keeper. Good doesn't really do them justice.  I LOVE chocolate chip cookies, and when I decided to make some homemade ones years ago, I couldn't find a recipe that I actually loved.  So, I combined about three different ones to make these little jewels.  Actually, little isn't really a good word...I mean they're huge when we make 'em.  The way I see it, if you're going to totally screw your eating habits up, you may as well do it up right...right?!  ...grin...

Here's what ya need:

I'm not a food photographer, but you get the point! And yes, that's TWO sticks of butter. 
                                    

First, make sure your butter is room temperature.  Mix it with your sugars.  Start with 3/4 cup of regular sugar and then slap 1 and 3/4 cups of well packed brown sugar.  Here's the butter and regular sugar:

Mix the butter and sugars until they are nice and fluffy!! These are obviously before the fluffy happened.
       

Next add two eggs....One. At. A Time.!

Eggs..........My bowl looks like something exploded in it in this picture!
         

Then dump in one teaspoon of vanilla.  I think it's pretty important to use GOOD vanilla.  Actually, I think it should be a crime to use the imitation stuff, but if that's what ya've got...use it.  These won't be the same without some kind of vanilla, even if it's "faux-nilla".

In a separate bowl, mix 3 3/4 cups of all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt.  Make sure to use the WHOLE teaspoon of salt.  This brings out the sweetness in the cookie!  Then, dump 1/2 of this dry mixture into your wet ingredients.  Mix slowly or you'll be wearing most of it.  After this is incorporated, mix the last 1/2 of your flour mixture in and mix it just till combined.  No need to beat it to death.  

Here's what your cookie base should look like:

I'm pretty sure I mentioned I'm not a food photographer, right?!

OK....now here's the thing with this cookie base;  you can make any kind of cookie you like from this point.  This cookie dough is the TICKET!  My cousin calls me pretty often to ask for white chocolate and pistachio cookies.  THIS is the cookie dough I make those from, too.  You just mix white chocolate chips instead of regular ones, then slap 4 or 5 pistachios on top.  They're divine, by the way. I digress.  For our purposes, here's what you should have:

That's 1/2 bag of semi-sweet morsels and 1/3 bag of milk chocolate.  YAY...two kinds of chocolate.  I'm now two kinds of happy about these cookies!!
                         
Now, we're making semi and milk chocolate cookies, but my momma always requests these with semi, milk AND dark chocolate.  If that's your happy place, then add the same amount of dark as you do milk chocolate and you're all set.  Yes, that's a LOT of chocolate.  Something about that just flips my switch, people!  Mix this in with a plastic spatula, or a big spoon.  Don't beat 'em up with your mixer. 

Here's what ya get:

These were heaped on with a large spoon.  I'd say they are about 3 inches across.  Not even kidding.  Like I said, if you're gonna blow the calories...do it right.  

You have to taste these to really feel the love, but there's definitely love in there!

Here's the whole deal:

1 cup of butter (yes, that's two sticks...shoot me)
3/4 cup of white sugar
1 3/4 cups of light brown sugar...pack it down, you'll want every last bit
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
3 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 bag (or more) of semi sweet morsels
1/3 bag of milk chocolate morsels

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 7-9 minutes depending on how well done you like your cookies.  My man can eat warm dough and I like mine just beginning to turn golden brown.  Whatever works for you!

** You can add dark chocolate, too,  if it floats your boat. You can add white chocolate or peanut butter morsels if that floats your boat.  They're both out of this world!  My sister and mom also like walnuts in theirs.  Nuts don't belong in chocolate chip cookies in my Universe...but, whatever works for you will work in this cookie dough.  It's genuinely the best dough I've come across!  ENJOY!!











No comments:

Post a Comment