Friday, November 7, 2014

Sopapilla Cheesecake

I occasionally get emails from the blog and I love it. When I get these kind of emails, I love it even more. When I was already going to share this on the blog AND I get an email, it kind of seems like providence. Plus, this recipe is totally butt kickin'.

Hi Kristi,

Would you share your cheesecake recipe that you mentioned you ate with your girlfriends last week?

Thanks, J. 

The reason I loved this email so much is because we didn't just have plain, old cheesecake. We had sopapilla cheesecake, y'all.  I have a great traditional cheesecake recipe but there is something awesome about a cheesecake desert that takes 10 minutes flat to prepare and only 30 minutes until it's ready to eat. Right?! Get ready for a taste bud happy dance, baby.

Creamy cream cheese center with crunchy, sugary topping. I hear a choir, people. 


OK...First, get these together. And honestly, something so simple just seems like it shouldn't be this good. But, it is.






Two packages of cream cheese, two tins of crescent rolls, one stick of butter (I use unsalted), 1 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and real vanilla extract.  If you only have "faux"-nilla, then use it but I'd suggest making a store run. This is all you need to make this dessert and words cannot describe it's fabulousness!

Preheat the oven to 350. Then, mix two softened packages of cream cheese with 1 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon (or there about) of vanilla with your mixer on high. I don't measure my vanilla because I don't care if I get a little extra. Vanilla is one of my favorite things ever, but you do what works for you. Scrape the sides of your bowl and mix on high until the mixture is super smooth and creamy.





I left my mixture getting all creamy and yummy while I go do this:


Line a 9 x 13 glass dish with one tin of the crescent rolls. As you can see, you don't have to be super duper particular about every inch being covered. It'll puff up and cover the bottom of the dish really well.

Next, pour your cream cheese mixture over the top of the crescent rolls:

Then, place the second tin of crescent rolls over the cream cheese mixture.

Again, it doesn't have to be perfect.    

Melt 1/2 cup of butter and pour it over the entire thing! (Just pretend like the calories are soaking into the crescent roll or something)


Finally, mix 1/4 cup of sugar and a heaping tablespoon of cinnamon together and sprinkle liberally over the top of the butter.  (I usually sprinkle another dash or two of cinnamon over that just because I think it's pretty and I like cinnamon. You do whatever taste you like, though.)

 
Now, bake your Sopapilla Cheesecake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  NOTE: I always check it at around 18 minutes or so. My oven is a double oven and my smaller one cooks a little quicker, so mine is usually done in around 20 minutes. However, most ovens will tend toward 30 minutes, though each one is unique. Don't burn the crescent rolls!! They should be golden brown.


 
Let it cool to at least room temperature and then slice this baby and watch your eyes roll back in your head. This is a rich, cream cheesey (is that a word?) dessert with a crunchy, buttery topping that is spectacular.  It's the perfect thing with coffee or, if you're like my kids, a cold glass of milk. My girlfriend's and I enjoyed this so much and there's nothing better than visiting with people you love over a  decadent dessert.


Make this. Trust me, just make this. It's the best thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment