Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Travel Tuesdays...

I have completely ignored this blog for the vast majority of the summer and as much as I'm sure I should be slightly more concerned since I'd gotten up to a pretty regular number of readers, I find I just can't muster up the emotions to actually say I'm sorry.  But, I do have a great reason and you get to benefit from it!  We travel....a lot.  I love it more than I love chocolate and that's really saying something because I think chocolate is worth it's weight in gold.  Not even kidding.  I digress...

So, what I've decided to do is to start something called travel Tuesdays.  I've decided to share some of our travels with you and give some advice on the good, the great and the so great I thought I'd die just from being there places.  I think this will also give me super incentive to really stretch out and see more, do more and experience more.  All of which are basically the reason to live, in my opinion.  So here's where I'll start:

Tortola, British Virgin Islands:

We visited Tortola in December of 2011 and I've not been able to get it off my mind since then...well, actually we hopped a ferry in Tortola and visited Virgin Gorda.  We started off in Tortola, but I'd so desperately wanted to see one thing and that was the Baths of Virgin Gorda.  Virgin Gorda is a tiny little island just above Tortola that is a total of eight and 1/2 miles long.  When in Tortola, you hop Speedy's ferry  and in less than 30 minutes you'll be stepping onto the white sands of Virgin Gorda.

There are many beaches, restaurants and local resorts to attract you to this small island, but it's the people that drew me in like a moth to flame.  The people are friendly and welcoming in a way that really defines so many of the small islands in the Caribbean.  The warmth comes from a slow lifestyle that doesn't stem from poverty, although there is much poverty to be found on Virgin Gorda.  Their lifestyle stems from an understanding of true importance in a life that can only be lived once.  Perhaps with views of crystal clear turquoise waters and some of the worlds only boulder formations like the Baths, life simply takes on a different view of priorities.  I don't know for sure, but I do know that you can physically feel the pleasure that flows from the people of Virgin Gorda as they simply live and, I suppose, even live simply, as corny as that may sound. 

If shopping is your thing, Virgin Gorda isn't the place for you.  It's filled with sights, smells, sounds and feelings.  Not so many boutiques and touristy traps (not a Diamonds International to be found)...thank you, God!  If you'd like a longer stay, there are some outstanding resorts located on Virgin Gorda, some only accessible by boat. 

Our destination for the day was The Baths.  Here's why:

One of the many areas inside the baths that are a small paradise.

Looking out...

Devil's Bay on the far side of the boulders.


So very sad to leave.  This sign is located at the pier.  


No comments:

Post a Comment